Friday, April 16, 2010

Red Envelopes Of Absolution


I am a Born-Again-Netflixer. I strayed from the path of righteousness. In a moment of weakness I gave into the temptation of Blockbuster (Whore of Babylon). For one payment of $10 I would become a Platinum Club Member. For a year I got a free rental every month, rent one get one free monday through wednesday, and best of all, a gray colored card that distinguished me from the common blue carders. I held myself above my fellow man. I gave into the superficial joy of instant gratification. It felt good but it never felt right. After awhile I couldn't live like that anymore (my membership expired). I turned back towards the light. With the support of my friends and family I signed back up for Netflix. There was no judgment. No awkwardness. Only a window that said "Would you like to join Netflix again?". Netflix put it's arms as long as a million DVD's around this prodigal son. For about $9 a month I get a DVD as fast as the postal system can ship them. And as a reward for the patience I have a queue of 49 movies I can watch instantly, at any time. It feels good to be home.

2 comments: